Country Quilt

Friday, January 2, 2015

Sleepovers

The girls have been asking me to have a sleepover with their friends for some time now and I just keep putting it off.  I don't know why I put it off.  It could be that I never had sleepovers growing up. or that it just adds to the number of kids I have to keep track of during the day/night.  I would also start to get a little anxious knowing my girls would go to friends houses and I wouldn't be in control. I don't do well without being in control.  Then I remember even though I never had any sleepovers at my house, I did have some cool friends that still invited me to their house for sleepovers.  It was always fun to stay overnight away from your siblings and the craziness of your own house.  I have fond memories of my nights staying at my friend Deanna's house.  Her house was the first place I ever stayed over night and the first time I got to play the Atari.  I loved when her mom would make Jello Jigglers.  I still remember that taste!  Staying at Rachel's house was always fun because we could run around in the woods.  I always remember her mom being in the kitchen in the morning listening to country on WIL.  Going to Susan's house was fun because her mom and dad were so much fun to be around.  Loved being in her kitchen and of course swimming in the pool.  Heard my first Beastie Boys at her house.  Staying at Lisa's house was great because we could stretch out on the floor to watch movies and not be crunched by other people in the house.  Staying at Nicole's house was almost like being at home with all the siblings but she had her room in the basement away from everyone else.  I was always so envious of her canopy bed!  I also loved looking at and borrowing her Sweet Valley High books.  But I was not allowed to bend the covers!  Going to her grandma's, who lived right across the lane from her was always fun too.  Believe it or not, I can still remember the way her grandma's kitchen looked and smelled.  Staying at Michelle's house and discussing the latest happenings on the CBS soaps, Sweet Valley High books, or the boyfriends that ended up being our husbands, plus leg wrestling is also a great memory.

After remembering all the good times I had at sleepovers, I decided I needed to open up a little and let the girls have some wonderful memories to remember 30 years later.  I need to go out of my comfort zone and let them spend the night at their friend's houses.  Doesn't mean I will have a good nights sleep while they are gone.  I need to let them have their friends over to play and make those bonds of friendship that could last them their entire lives.

This week Megan had her friend Hannah over to spend the night.  The next night Wendy had her friend Mahkayla spend the night.  And today Ellie had her friend Gabriela over to play for a few hours.  Just listening to their laughter, screams, and over all excitement were worth it. And tonight I will worry because Wendy is staying at her friend Mahkayla's house.  Here's to finding time to have them spend more time with their friends this coming year.  Whether it be coming over to play, or them going over there, or taking their friends places, I hope to be able to do more this year.

Thanks you to the Smiths, the Bruggers, the Browns, the Childers, the Mavers, and the Gilleys for letting me be your child for a couple of nights and to make lasting memories that I still carry with me 30 some years later.


No comments:

Post a Comment