Country Quilt

Monday, January 5, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge

I love to read!  I would rather read than do most anything.  I just recently finished my first book of the year by Jan Karon (one of my favorite authors) called Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good, and at then end of the story one of the characters was quoted to say "That was his favorite thing about books - they took you off to other people's lives and places, but you could still set in your own chair by th' oil heater, warm as a mouse in a churn".  My thoughts exactly Coot Hendricks!

Last year because of my little bout with depression, I went back to bed and read a lot.  I would go to bed very early and read a lot until very late.  I finished a total of 121 books last year.  Some were very good, some were not so good.  I keep track of all my books I read on the Goodreads website.  I log in through Facebook.  It lets you rate the book, you can follow your friends and their reading choices, and you can write reviews.  My reviews are strictly for me and my friends only.  I don't write long and drawn out words just to see myself type.  If it's good, I write good and if not, I write not.  Simple as that.  If you would like to find a book to read check out my Goodreads page and scroll my books to see if there are any you may like to read.

This year I found a reading challenge on Pinterest.  It gives you a list of books to read.  You end up reading 54 books and you still get to pick out the books you want to read.  Some on the list include: a classic romance, a book with a one-word title, a book your mom loves, etc.  You check mark each box as you read your book until you are finished.  Usually my reading challenges are just finish the books stacked up on the side of your bed so your don't kill yourself getting out of bed.  I will still have to work on that this year too.  I did really good last year and got the books from 3 piles about 8 books high, to one pile of 3 books high.  Then my birthday and Christmas showed up and it's back to getting into bed from the bottom.  (It's not that bad, yet!)

I also would like to see how many Newberry Award Winning Books the girls and I can read together in a year.  I used to love to go to book sales.  I have slacked off a little due to my book reading back log but when I was book saleing, I loved to find the Newberry Winners that people were getting rid of.  WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT???  Anyway, your loss my gain.  I have a whole shelf full of Newberry Award Winning books for the girls to read.  Sometimes I like to read a book geared toward younger kids just to make me feel younger.  We will see how far we get.  I'll keep you posted.

Every once in a while ads pop up on Facebook and I very seldom click on them.  I did click on the one recently that said free books.  It wasn't for me nor was it really free but I got caught up in reading the comments and one mom commented that her kids don't need books in the house.  They get them from the library or bring them home from school.  WHAT???  What if they finish the books and need something else to read?  What if they only go to the library on your time frame, what are they going to read?  Books are everywhere in my house, living room, bedrooms, bathrooms, basement.  I even have a book in the kitchen and sometimes I take one in my purse when I leave the house.  No home should be without books.  You don't have to spend full price at the local book store to get books, check out the thrift stores (Savers has a lot of books), your library book sales, other books sales that are put on in your community.  If your child comes home with a book order from Scholastic, they have books in there almost every month for a dollar!

Please read.  Read for yourself. Read to your pet. Read with your children and to your children. Your children will be better students and adults.  You will find satisfaction in relaxing in a book or learning something new. I promise you will enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment