Country Quilt

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Days of the Year

A couple of days ago, while we were driving in the car, my youngest asked me "why don't we do the special days anymore?".  Two years ago, I decided to try to see what each day pertained to and have the kids go along with it.  I wrote it on a chalkboard in the kitchen each morning so the kids would see it when they woke up.  They were always eager to see what it was.  Unfortunately, my chalkboard fell off the wall and never made it back up, so we didn't finish out the year. I don't even think we made it to April. :(

Today, I decided to see what the day was about and start over with my kids.  I clicked on my usual website and thought, "I really don't want to write these down" and "I really don't want to have to remember to look it up each day".  The laziness in me coming out.  As I was going to exit out I saw a website www.daysoftheyear.com; funny days, weird holidays, and celebrations of 2015!  It was so cool!

At the top of their site, they have what is being celebrated that day! FYI today is Strawberry Ice Cream Day and/or Hat Day! I don't like hats so I may just have to run to the store for some strawberry ice cream.  They also have posted what is being celebrated for the upcoming days!  They had pictures for each day, too.  That way I can know what is coming up and not have to look it up everyday.

Better yet, they have a Facebook page!!!  Since I'm always on Facebook, I can now have the days right there on my post.  Anything that is easier for me is great!  Maybe this time I will keep up with it for the whole year.  

If you want to do something new and fun with your kids try celebrating these crazy days.  You don't have to do it everyday.  Some days may not have anything kid related to celebrate.  If after two years, my 7 year old is still remembering it, it must have been a good memory for them and one I need to keep up on.  

Just so you know, tomorrow is Appreciate a Dragon Day!  I think it might be a good time to have a family movie night and watch How to Train Your Dragon 2!

1 comment: