Country Quilt

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Christmas is officially over

Christmas is officially over at our house.  On New Year's Day, my hubby took down the outside decorations (but left up two of my snowmen decorations) and today we took down the inside decorations.  In the past, this would have depressed me since I have decorations up in October for Halloween, November for Thanksgiving, and then in December for Christmas; then along comes January and BAM nothing.  (Insert cricket noise here)

So last year, I told my hubby I was going to need two new bins for snowman decorations.  I decided to leave up my snowmen through the month of January so that the house wouldn't seem so sad.  It is really nice to still have the house decorated.  I have just enough snowmen to decorate each room on the main floor of the house.  Now it looks wintery!

In the living room, I have quite a few snowman candle holders, a couple of snow globes, and a few snowmen figurines sitting on my shelf.  Last year I found 4 snowmen ornaments that spelled out SNOW, so instead of hanging them on my tree they are a decoration in January.  I also have a light up snowman that I bought at a craft fair and a light up snowman jar that my brother Michael bought me for my birthday one year.  Those along with my lighted twigs that have icicle ornaments hanging on them make it still look like a Christmas tree is glowing. Let's not forget the bucket of snowballs sitting by the fireplace.

In the dining room, I have a burlap lighted snowman that Megan got me for my birthday this year and a giant wooden snowman that my sister made me for my birthday last year.

In the kitchen, I bought new place mats that have a snowman on them and they say "Let it Snow". Nothing Christmasy about them.  They are great for January.  I left all my snowmen candles and candle holders I had up for Christmas.  For my table centerpiece I have a basket that hold something to correspond to each month.  It now holds 3 snowflakes and 2 snowmen ornaments. (Let's hope the cats don't take off with them like they did with two of my Christmas candles that were in there for December).  Of course, I also have dish rags and dish towels.

Let's not leave out the bathroom.  I have the cutest snowman night light I got from a dear friend at a gift exchange.  I also have some snowflake soap and a set of snowman towels that I got from my mom.

There are a few snowman upstairs.  We have a  huge mirror that hangs in the upstairs hallway and I always hang those gel window clings on it.  There are 3 snowman hanging there right now.  The final snowman in the house is in my bedroom.  It is a cute little light up snowman, that I use as a night light.

Most of my snowmen have come as birthday presents since my birthday is close to Christmas.  I think for my next birthday, I will ask for a wire light up snowman for outside so I can leave him up in January and have the outside decorated as well.

I love decorating my house for the holidays and seasons.  Not only for myself but for my family as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment