Country Quilt

Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Granny's Birthday

Today would have been my Granny's 86th birthday.  This is the first time in 38 years that I'm not sharing her special day with her.  Instead, she is celebrating her birthday with my Gramps and Jesus.  I guess I shouldn't be too jealous.  She hasn't celebrated a birthday with my Gramps in 26 years.  I hope he has been saving up those presents for her all of those years or he is sure to hear about it.  And to be celebrating with Jesus! I can't even imagine what kind of a bash that would be!

Granny never really did make a big deal out of her birthday.  We usually got together to celebrate her birthday, mom and Jayme's birthday, and the Coal Fest (hometown picnic) all in August.  She loved getting cards.  She read every single one of them word for word.  She loved sending them as much as receiving them.  I've already missed several special moments this year where I was expecting a card to show up from her. I still remember the present I gave her last year for her birthday.  It was pictures of the girls, some hair gel she ordered from Avon, and three wooden birds to hang on her Christmas tree.  Those three birds now hang in my girls bedrooms to remind them of Granny. 

I finally got up enough nerve to go out to the cemetary for the first time since she passed away. My problem with going out there may seem silly to some.  For years, I had taken Granny out to the cemetary to put flowers on my Gramps grave.  Her name was already on the tombstone but not the date of death.  I just didn't want to go out there and see those four numbers next to her name...2011.  But...I knew I had to go out there because I had vowed to make sure that Granny had pretty flowers on her grave.  She always had flowers on my Gramps grave for every birthday/holiday since he passed away in 1985. Mom, my girls, my nephews, and I went out there yesterday to put flowers on her grave.   Mom got some pretty pink and purple flowers to put on there and my sister and I got 2 balloons to put on there from the kids.  The kids sang Happy Birthday to her and that's when I proceeded to lose it. 

I still miss her very much every day.  There are times when I want to just pick up the phone and call her to see if she wants to come over for dinner or if she needs to go to the store.  Somedays I am lost without her  but I am coping.  I have wonderful memories that I look back on that always make me smile or laugh.  I have something in every room of my house that reminds me of Granny.  There is not a restaurant or store in the three city area that I don't have some kind of memory with Granny over the years.  We had a wonderful relationship.  Of course, there were times when she got on my nerves but they were few and far between.  She was my rock to lean on, my sounding board when I needed to vent, and my helper whenever I needed it. 

Granny was a wonderful person and a perfect grandma.  I can only hope that when it is my turn to become a grandma that I will be as wonderful as she was.  Happy Birthday, Granny!  I love you and miss you so very much!!

2 comments:

  1. I loved getting cards in the mail from her too! She always drew little things on the Envelopes and she was a "card marker". Meaning, if she wanted to add words to the writing, or draw little pics in it, or underline phrases, she would......it was that little special touch, you know? And then she'd tape a dollar or two in, and I know that was a sacrifice for her, but she'd say "get yourself a snack or a sod-ee while your out...it's a little something for ya!" HAHA I still miss my coffee buddy. Take a long time with that coffee today Gran, and make enough for you and gramps for all evening!!! Happy Birthday Lady!!! See you sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Heavenly Birthday to your Granny. Even though I didn't know your Granny, I know you were very special to her and she loved you so much. I completely understand the heartache of not having her to go to or just chat a minute on the phone with. I lost my Grandma June 2007 and all around me there are things that remind me of her and I miss her so much.

    I'm glad you had such a beautiful day for your family to spend some time remembering and honoring her on her birthday.

    ReplyDelete