Country Quilt

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Each day is special

Every Christmas Eve the girls are heartbroken when they have to tell Elfie (our elf on the shelf) goodbye.  There are tears, long faces, and just plain sadness.  Last year I realized that they weren't as sad about Elfie leaving as they were about getting up and rushing downstairs to see where he would be each day.  So, on December 31st, I told the girls that for the entire year of 2012, I will write down something special to celebrate each day.

Thanks to one of my dearest friends for starting this craft at one of our MOPS meetings.  She took a tin cookie sheet and painted the inside flat bottom of the pan with chalkboard paint.  Then I took some acrylic paint and wrote: Today is... I left a space and then had my three girls make flowers on it with their fingers.  It turned out really cute. 

Not only is it a pretty decoration hanging in my kitchen, but the girls are excited to go downstairs every morning to see what kind of day it is going to be.  Today, for example, was National Spaghetti Day.  I bet you can't guess what we had for dinner?

It makes me happy to see the girls having fun with just the little things in life. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! What a great way to "teach" the kids about joy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. although it sounds like they already know a lot about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be fun for the whole family! I absolutely adore the thumbprint flowers. Let me know when it's chocolate day, I'll be by to visit!

    ReplyDelete