Country Quilt

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Holidays #3-6 for February: Holiday catch up

Where in the world does the time go?  I feel like I just typed my Holiday #2 for February only a couple of days ago but alas it's been almost 3 weeks.  Oh wait, I know where all the time has gone...playing Candy Crush Saga.  Yep, and laundry.  And children.

Anyway, time to catch up.  Holiday # 3 for February, Mardi Gras, is not really a holiday my family and I celebrate.  I guess I could celebrate it since I am of French dissent on my dad's side and I already technically celebrate Fat Tuesday, and Fat Monday, and Fat Wednesday, and Fat Thursday, and Fat Friday.  I do like the colors of purple and green together but I hate BEADS!!!  I hate untangling beads, I hate picking up beads, I hate stepping on beads, I hate getting hit in the head with beads at parades.  (JUST THROW CHOCOLATE PEOPLE!!!)  Needless to say beads are not one of my favorite things.  (Did anyone else just hear Julie Andrews singing that last line in their head?)  I did consider buying a King Cake this year, but then it does disturb me a little bit to have a baby stuck inside a cake possibly going to be stabbed by a knife.  Besides I don't really need anymore children right now. :)

Holiday #4 for February, Chinese New Year, is also a holiday that my family doesn't celebrate.  I do like to read the girls books about this day just to introduce them to different cultures.  I like the decorations of the Chinese lanterns too.  They are so pretty.  I also think it's cool to have years themed after animals. 2013 is the Year of the Snake.  Apparently snakes are not highly thought of in China so instead of saying you were born in the Year of the Snake they say they were born in the year of the "little dragon".  That sounds much cooler anyway.  I was born in the Year of the Rat.  I didn't like this at first because rats are yucky, but then I looked it up.  Being born in the Year of the Rat is actually way cool!  Those born in this year are respected and are a courageous and enterprising person and it is considered a privilege to be associated with a rat. Just think you are all privileged people because you know me...a Rat.  Your welcome!  And to top it all off, my Chinese element is water which means that in 2013 I will obtain fortune.  Awesome!!!  I'm pretty sure I don't have any Asian background but it might not be so bad to celebrate this holiday!  The Chinese New Year is like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's all celebrated together for 15 days.



Holiday #5 for February, Valentine's Day.  This one we do celebrate.  I decorate the house with red and pink hearts.  We usually get the girls a box of candy and a small toy/trinket.  This year for Valentine's Day my hubby got me the usual pretty bouquet (oooo a little more of my French coming out) of flowers and the must have chocolate covered strawberries, but he also got me something he has never gotten me before.  
He adopted a Fennec Fox from the St. Louis Zoo for me.  
He also adopted a red panda from the St. Louis Zoo for the girls.  

I love both of these animals and the zoo.  What a wonderful gift to give, a donation to something I love in my name instead of having things sitting around the house. Just to clarify, I would never consider anything BLING to be just sitting around the house.  Thought I would throw that out there for future purchases. 

Holiday # 6 for February, President's Day.  This one gets celebrated basically with just a day off school.  Believe it or not, I don't think we have any actual President's Day books.  May need to remedy that with a book shopping expedition.  I think President Lincoln is my favorite President thus far.  I just love his era, his demeanor, his accomplishments, the fact that he is from my home state, and that he loved to read.  One of my favorite places to go is to the Lincoln Sites in Springfield.  We took the girls there this summer to visit some of them.  Hoping to hit his Presidential library this summer. Need to catch the Lincoln movie when it hits DVD, too.   Some of my favorite President Lincoln quotes:  "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count.  It's the life in your years."  "My best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read." "Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side, my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right."  Shout out to President Washington for having cool hair and being the first person brave enough to lead this nation!


Sorry, this blog is a long one.  That's what happens when I slack off and have too much to say. I hope you enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment