Country Quilt

Monday, February 25, 2013

Holiday # 7 for February: Daytona 500

Yesterday was the seventh and final holiday for February....the Daytona 500!!  I know this is a holiday for some and not for all.  To us it is a holiday because Sundays are now back to sports Sundays.  The last few weeks without football have been nerve wracking.  Walking around the house on Sunday after church trying to find something to do and the only things I can find are laundry to do and food to eat!  Not good.

This year's Daytona 500 was extra cool because there was a GIRL in the pole position.  Yes, you read right a GIRL...Danica Patrick!  Now I'm not actually a fan of hers.  I hate her stupid Go Daddy commercials, but I think it is awesome that a female has made her way into a predominately male sport.  She didn't win but she didn't do too bad either.  She stayed in the whole race and ended up with a top 10 finish...8th place.

A friend once asked me how I can watch a race when all the cars do is go around and around in a circle?  I told her it's the adrenaline you get when watching a race.  The speed, the noise, the chance of one wrong slip up and you're in the wall.  It's the "just by a nose" finishes and the race to leave pit row that keep me pumped up.  I even get excited about the wrecks!  What?  I wouldn't want to be seeing a 10 car pile up on 159 but seeing it during a race is sometimes cool. (As long as no one gets hurt.)  I know, I'll schedule the appointment with a psychiatrist when I get finished with my blog.

My favorite driver is Carl Edwards in the #99 car.  My girls like him too.  They think it's neat when he does the back flip out of his car.   He didn't do too well in the race yesterday thanks to a multi-car pile up.  He ended up in 33rd place.  Boo!  Good news is there is a new race next Sunday!!  Of course, the hubby likes Tony Stewart in the #14 car.  As Carl, he didn't do too well in the race either thanks to the wreck.  He ended up in 41st place.  I'm thinking that's behind Carl.  Hee! Hee!

Thanks to NASCAR for coming back to the T.V. just when I needed you.  Now we just need to add a little Cardinal baseball and I'm set to go until football season!



No comments:

Post a Comment