Country Quilt

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wednesday Treats

Every Wednesday, my girls get out of school a half an hour earlier than normal.  I think it has something to do with school improvement.  Anyway, last year I started a new tradition that is looked forward to with much anticipation each week.  I made Wednesday a "Special Treat" Day.  Each Wednesday, I make the girls a special treat for when they come home from school.

Some of the treats that have been devoured have been Rice Krispie squares, cookies, muffins, cupcakes, trail mix, hot chocolate.  I will admit there are times that I have gotten busy and forgotten.  I can usually make up for it with a trip to the gas station for a slushie or a trip to the ice cream shoppe for a sundae.  The wrath of three girls that have been cheated out of their Wednesday treat is not something I want to mess with.

This year has been fun so far.  For the first Wednesday after they go back to school, I always make them the Pillsbury already made cookies that just have to go in the oven.  I get the one's with the school buses on them.  I just think they are so cute! 


The other Wednesdays in August, I made them Rice Krispie treats (because mommy was craving them), mini cinnamon muffins, and then Grandma B. gave them each a dollar to go up to the gas station to get a slushie. 

In September, I decided to try something different.  I decided to find a snack that pertains to the month we are in.  Thanks to the September edition of Family Fun Magazine, my September treats rocked!!!  The first treat I made were these Candy Apple Cookie Pops.  They were not the easiest things to make (and I probably won't make them again) but they turned out cute and the girls loved them.  I had my friends two girls over that afternoon and they were crazy for them as well. 


The next week I made these cute little Back to School cupcakes.  Wendy had just had an expander put in her mouth and I needed to make something soft she could eat.  These cupcakes were just the thing.  Of course, they was a little bit of arguing over who was going to eat which one.


This past Wednesday, I made acorns for their snack.  I told the girls when I walked over to pick them up from school, that they were having acorns for a snack. I think they were kind of worried that it might be true because Ellie has been picking up acorns from the backyard and bringing them in to use as a table decoration in the kitchen.  They laughed when they saw them and then there were none.


I know these aren't the healthiest snacks around, but it's the memories I am making that makes up for it.  They only got two cookies pops each, one cupcake, and three little acorns. I try to make them eat healthy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner all week, a once a week sugar buzz should be fine.  Besides, this also gives mommy a time to be creative and to do something I enjoy.  I love to cook and bake things but the clock and I are always in a race.  The clock usually beats me everytime.  This way, I know it's Wednesday. I need to have the ingredients handy and my creative juices flowing.

Thanks to my new obsession, Pinterest, I have found the cutest Wednesday snack ideas for fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  I should be set to go until 2012.  My problem is going to be picking out which snack to make the girls! 

I am glad my girls look forward to this every week.  I love being able to do something for my girls that makes them happy.  After all, isn't that one of the great perks about being a mommy?

No comments:

Post a Comment